After earning a music diploma (DEM) in classical piano from the Conservatoire in Evry (France), Anglo-French pianist and composer Jim Funnell was awarded a full tuition scholarship from Berklee College of Music (Boston), where he went on to study performance and jazz composition, graduating summa cum laude in 2007. At Berklee, professors Joanne Brackeen, Laszlo Gardony, Danilo Pérez, Mitch Haupers, David Fiuczynski, Greg Hopkins, Joe Lovano, Hal Crook, Dave Santoro, George Garzone (to name a few…) influenced him tremendously. As a student performer, he shared the stage with Russell Ferrante and Marcus Baylor from jazz fusion quartet the Yellowjackets, bassists Meshell Ndegeocello and Marcus Miller, and trumpeter/composer Dave Douglas. Jim also performed and recorded with Fiuczynski’s KiF (KiF Express, 2008) and played with a quartet lead by Japanese trumpeter and Berklee faculty member Tiger Okoshi.
For a few years, Jim collaborated with fellow Berklee alum Perla Flores Martínez, with whom he formed a violin and piano duo (MUNDuO). While they were still students, they toured Mexico several times and gave concerts in the United States, Argentina, and France. Jim then moved to Paris in 2008, which gave him the opportunity to tour extensively as a sideman with musicians from the United Kingdom (guitarist Ant Law, nu-reggae artist Flox, Scottish saxophonist Fraser Campbell, Barak Schmool and his Afro Cuban band Méta Méta), France (saxophonist Philippe Lopes de Sa, Caribbean neo-soul singer/producer Sébastien Drumeaux, drummers Ravy Magnifique, Olivier Robin, and Franck Vaillant, bassist Gui Duvignau, vocalists Ory Minie and Anissá Bensalah, trombonist/composer Benjamin de Roubaix), Latin America (composer and poet Carlos Do Nascimento, Uruguayan saxophonist Florencia Gonzalez, Brazilian singer Cecília Leite) and the United States (saxophonist Chico Freeman, singer-songwriter Chelsea Sykes, vocalist Ursuline Kairson).
Besides, Jim formed Word Out, his own jazz trio, in 2008. For comprehensive information about this bands, please refer to http://funnelljazz.eu/word-out/.
As an educator, Jim Funnell instructs privately, teaches small ensembles, and conducts workshops and master classes on jazz harmony and improvisation, mostly drawing examples from his own research and the music he composes.
(For performance highlights with AfuriKo please refer to the band bio).
With Jim Funnell’s Word Out:
- Spirit of the Sn@il CD release tour (2015-2016): performances throughout France, the United Kingdom, and Japan including venues such as Sunset-Sunside (Paris), Ray’s Jazz at Foyles (London), Jazz at Dempsey’s (Cardiff), Southampton Modern Jazz Club, Improphile (Chartres), Star Eyes (Nagoya), Nardis (Kashiwa)…
- Jazz sur Seine (2014): festival held in the many jazz clubs of Paris and the Parisian Region
- Turbulences #3 – Jazz à Vanves (2013): contemporary, jazz and improvised musics festival (France)
- Composition Prize at the “Trophées du Sunside” (2011): competition for up-and-coming artists on the European jazz scene organized by renowned Parisian jazz club Sunset-Sunside in partnership with SACEM
- Jazz en Touraine (2011): jazz festival in Montlouis-sur-Loire (France)
- 15 Cents Coups (2011): 15 days, 15 venues, 15 events in the 15th arrondissement of Paris (France)
- 33rd National Jazz Contest (2010) at La Défense Jazz Festival (France)
- Word Out Japan CD release tour (2009): performances in several cities across the country including Osaka (Royal Horse), Kiryu (Jazz&Blues Bar Village), and Tokyo (JZ Brat)
- Malta Jazz Festival (2009), as opening act for Grammy winning Brazilian jazz pianist and singer Eliane Elias and American jazz guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel
(For teaching highlights with AfuriKo please refer to the band bio).
With Jim Funnell’s Word Out: